Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Cooking Light ~ April Fool's Day

This month for our Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club we are playing a little Aprils Fools with our menu. I am in charge of the appetizers, but I plan to bring an egg souffle.
I found  THIS Recipe in the volumes on the Cooking Light My Recipe search.

Creamy Baked Eggs with Asparagus
Butter for ramekins
6 thin asparagus spears, ends trimmed
4 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lightly packed shredded pecorino
Pinch of sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper


 Preheat oven to 275°. Lightly butter two 4-oz. (1/2-cup) ramekins or ovenproof bowls and set in a baking pan just big enough to hold ramekins.
Slice asparagus thinly on the diagonal. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook until just tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes, and scoop out into a colander. Keep water boiling, covered. (I skipped this step . . . I sauted my asparagus in olive oil with a little salt and pepper.)
In a bowl, beat eggs with milk until smooth. Stir in cheese and salt. Divide mixture between prepared ramekins. (I made three) Top each with half the asparagus and sprinkle with pepper.
Set ramekins in baking pan and put in oven. With oven door open, carefully pour hot water into baking pan up to the level of the eggs in ramekins. Bake until eggs are set in centers (touch to test), about 45 minutes. To remove ramekins, carefully pull oven rack out partway; lift ramekins from pan with tongs and set aside. Push rack with pan back into the oven to cool. Serve eggs immediately

I thought they were just the right little appetizer . . . but also worked for breakfast the next day.


 

Now . . . let's see what everyone else has brought for our April Fool's Supper.
Jerry has made Shrimp and Grits . . . April Fools. Where is he going to find real grits?
Val is making a Chicken BLT salad.
Susan is going to surprise us with her dish.
Sara is sailing in with Zucchini Boats and Ricotta Basil Mousse
Shelby is bringing a Rhubarb Trifle
Y'all enjoy ~
Sandi

3 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I like the fact that Sarah is sailing :-) especially on the prairies of Saskatchewan. Love this dish Sandi .

Sarah said...

I have been waiting for this recipe. Sounds wonderful.

yung@foodyoo.com said...

I like this. I think I want to try this with cherry tomato and bacon too. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails