Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Cooking Light ~ Breakfast

This month we are have a breakfast club supper... Our Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club is havig breakfast. YuM! I knew right away that I had to make something with grits. I found my recipe on Cooking Light.
Grits Souffle with Ham and Spinach
1/4 pound lean country ham, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 (10 1/2-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (13 1/2-ounce) can chopped spinach, drained and squeezed dry
4 large egg whites (at room temperature)
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add ham; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan; set aside.
Combine milk and broth in pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in grits; reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Combine grits mixture, ham, cheese, garlic powder, pepper, and spinach in a large bowl. Stir well; set aside.
Beat egg whites at high speed of a mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold one-fourth of egg whites into grits mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole or soufflé dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until set and lightly browned.

Now let's see what everyone else has brought for our breakfast!
Jerry has made Breakfast Cookies with figs and nuts.
Jamie is bringing a platter of Ham and Swiss egg Sandwiches.
Val is making a favorite of mine Blueberry and Maple-pecan Granola Parfaits
MaryAnn has baked a Fig swirl Coffecake
Roz has made a Casserole of Hash browns, with bacon, onions, and cheese.

Don't forget, that y'all are welcome to join in our virtual supper with the blog hop! Y'all enjoy~
Sandi

8 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have still yet to try grits, but they sure do sound delicious in the breakfast for dinner souffle Sandi!!!!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.my.word! Love me some grits. This recipe sounds incredible.

Hugs,
Kat

Stitchfork said...

Looks delish! We recently had breakfast for supper - homemade waffles and fresh pure maple sugar from a local sugar camp! Not exactly light tho!
xo Cathy

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

You've warmed my southern heart with your grits souffle. I love grits and a souffle makes them all the more special. I've never used spinach in mine. Bet it tastes as good as it looks. I can eat breakfast any time of the day.
Sam

Mo said...

Some delicious food here

Anonymous said...

Yum - polenta for breakfast. I need to try some of that.

Mary Ann said...

I'm very intrigued by this souffle made with grits! My hubby is a southerner and loves grits so I am going to have to try it! Looks delish!

nanny said...

Oh I love grits....this looks wonderful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails