Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, September 20, 2010

Novel Food from a blue can

I am making this in to a double-linky post. First, it is Blue Monday~ so I am linking up with SmilingSally. I know you'll recognise the blue in this post.
It is also time for Novel Food at Champaign Taste. For several years now we have joined in to post a recipe that is inspired by a novel.


This year, I am going back to our roots... With a recipe from 'Fried Green Tomatoes @ the WhistleStop Cafe'. If you haven't read the book lately... it is perfect for that first fall weekend. My recipe from the novel is Buttermilk Biscuits~ just like Sipsey would make. They just wouldn't be the same with out a little Crisco.
In the BLUE can!

Sipsey's Buttermilk Biscuits
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp soda
1/2 cup Crisco
1 cup buttermilk
Sift dry ingredients together. add Crisco and blend well until like a fine meal. Add buttermilk and mix. Roll out thin and cut into desired sized biscuit. Bake in a greased pan at 450 until golden brown.

We are looking forward to Fannie Flagg's visit this fall.
~ she's got a new book coming out soon! Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

9 comments:

pam said...

mmmmmm...biscuits

SmilingSally said...

I grew up on Crisco.

Happy Blue Monday! Check out my book giveaway.

nanny said...

yum!!!! lots of butter and jelly!!

Fifi Flowers said...

YUM... toss one of those biscuits this way!!!!

Justabeachkat said...

Hmmmm hmmmm good! And you know what would be really good on one of those biscuits? A slice of pork roast with some of my Mama's pepper jelly. Talk about good stuff!

Hugs,
Kat

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Pam, Nanny, & Fifi~ I have plenty to share.
Sally~ It didn't kill us... but I admit, I don't use it for anything else.
Kat~ a southern girl at heart!

Lisa said...

Sandi, those look delicious and I gotta try them. Thanks so much for joining in on our NF event (even though you tried to keep it a secret, ha ha). Do you think lard would be good instead of the Crisco? I have homemade lard I'm dying to use in everything.

Simona Carini said...

I must admit I have no idea what Crisco looks like, inside the box, I mean. Good suggestion to read again Fried Green Tomatoes, Sandi. I just mentioned the novel the other day to some guests from Italy. Thanks for the heads-up regarding the new book.

Simona Carini said...

My previous comment was not complete. I got carried away by the news of the new book. I have never made biscuits and your post reminds me that it is something I should try. Like Lisa, I wonder if I could use rendered lard instead of Crisco. Thanks for your contribution to Novel Food.

Related Posts with Thumbnails