Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Bread Pudding with the Special Sauce

Since we were at the beach last week, I have been on the search for a bread pudding recipe that is similar to the one served at The Fish House in Pensacola. I have posted their recipe for Shrimp and Grits Ya-Ya. AmaZing! If it says anything... their web site is GoodGrits.com.
We had a great meal while sitting out on the deck... but the dessert had me thinking. I needed to find a recipe for their Bread Pudding~ with that special sauce. I was like a contestant on Top Chef trying to identify the flavors. I think this will be close.
French Bread Pudding
1 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter
5 Eggs, beaten
1 Cups Cream
1 Cups Milk
Dash of Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
10 to 20 slices (inch to inch and a half thick)
Fresh or Stale French Bread
Preheat oven to 350°. In the large bowl of mixer cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, cream, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix well.
Place bread slices to cover bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan or similar size casserole that is a bit deeper. Pour egg mixture slowly over bread, push down slices until thoroughly soaked. Set the pan into a larger baking pan with water to reach halfway up the sides of the pudding casserole. Bake for 45 minutes, until custard still soft, not firm
Maple Bourbon Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup bourbon
Melt butter and sugar over low heat, until just melted... not browned. Whisk in syrup and bourbon and bring to a low simmer to reduce the alcohol.
You can see we were having a good time.
Good Friends, Good Food... naming our grandchildren. It doesn't get much better than that.

Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

15 comments:

barb cabot said...

Thank you Sandi! I needed this. Love bread pudding and this one looks like dynomite!

bellini valli said...

It doesn't get any better than a good 'ol Southern bread pudding.

Heather Ozee said...

That makes my stomach happy just reading about it.... of course my hips are saying "Don't even Think About It!!" :)
I still list my apron you sent me as a favorite thing ;)

Wobegon Cottage said...

This sounds really good and what a wonderful time of year to try it..just perfect for Autumn

nanny said...

I love bread pudding....when someone else makes it/ha
I tried it "once". Mine tasted liked soggy bread! I gave up!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Barb~ it has a little of the 'family recipe'... Bourbon!
Val~ I believe there was a cooking light recipe that looked really yummy.
Heather~ I'm so glad you stopped by!
Wobegon~ perfect for a fall evening... any evening in fact
Nanny~ The secret's in the sauce.

Stephanie Savors the Moment said...

Boy do I looooove bread pudding & this one looks Fab-u-lous! Cannot wait to try it - love your photos too - Cheers:)

Lisa said...

What fun!!! Bread pudding makes me think of my ex husband, he loved that stuff!!

Kat said...

Yum! Wish I had some right now.

I remember fondly the time I met you there and we all had the Shrimp Grits Ya-Ya. Oh.my.word! Delish!

Did you go to Duh's?

Hugs,
Kat

Karen June Miller said...

Wow! What a sauce! This can't be like anything I've ever tasted before. I'll have to give this a go!

Thanks for sharing, Sandi!

KJ
SoCal

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Stephanie~ I can't take credit for this bowl of fabulousness. It is from the Fish House. Beautiful!
Lisa~ is that a good thing or a bad thing???
Kat~ I missed you this time... I missed Duh this time too. Next time I'll call ahead!
Karen~ the sauce was perfection, it would even help Nanny's soggy bread pudding :-)

Elz said...

My husband loves bread pudding. I'll have to try this one out on him.

nancyhol said...

Oh yum - it sounds so good! Could I have a little taste right now?

monali said...

For any traditional occasion definitely churidar salwar kameez men's kurta suit is perfect. I would like to share the site www.kaneesha.com which my friend recommended me to visit, they have an extensive range from formal kurta suit to party wear.

Haya said...

You described it very beautiful. your writing style grabbed my intentions,would love to read more about it… 
long frocks

Related Posts with Thumbnails