Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Season's Eatings~

I was excited to take part in this years' Season's Eatings. Katie at Thyme For Cooking is once again hosting this bloggy food event. Several months ago, we sent our names in and she took care of hooking up the swaps.
The idea is to send (and receive) something that is a 'local' food or spice. The recipient then has to create a dish using the secret ingredient.

I was very lucky this year to have Simone from Briciole as my Secret Santa. She is a wonderful Italian cook, and has such a fun blog. She sent a large bag of dried white beans and a small collection of Italian spices.
I decided to forgo the recipe that Simone sent (for now) and use the white beans in a pot of White Christmas Chili. This is a recipe that is in my Starting Fresh Cookbook and is the perfect thing for that weekend after Christmas. I made use of the leftover turkey, and made a hearty pot that we can eat on for a few days.
White Chili
1 pound turkey meat (or chicken)
5 cups chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbs butter
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 cups dried white beans
1 can green chilies, chopped
1 Tbs cumin
1 Tbs cilantro
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
1 tsp Tabasco (to taste)
In an large pot saute onions and celery in butter until tender. Add broth and dried beans and bring to a boil. Add turkey pieces and spices. Bring to a low boil and cook until beans are tender and done.
Serve with grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream or salsa.

I can't wait to see what everyone else did with their secret ingredients. I sent grits to the Philippines... this will be fun!
Y'all enjoy,
Sandi

6 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

What a fun event. Looks like you made delicious use out of those beans. What a great dish!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Donna~ now I have another recipe for Simona's Italian beans, I'll be making that next.

Katie Zeller said...

Grat minds and all that - I just bought the ingredients for this to make tomorrow!
Looks delicious, and thanks for some ideas ;-))

Katie Zeller said...

That would be 'Great Minds' I really have to learn to type....

Lisa said...

This looks quite delicious. I've bookmarked the recipe. It's just the thing for a winter weeknight dinner.

Simona Carini said...

Glad you enjoyed the beans. Your dish looks great! I've bookmarked the recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails