Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, April 16, 2008

LiveSTRONG !

There is a huge event coming up. Barbara at Winos and Foodies is hosting her second annual LiveSTRONG Day~ A Taste of Yellow. LiveSTRONG Day is the Lance Armstrong Foundation's one-day initiative to raise awareness and funds for the cancer fight. LIVESTRONG Day 2008 will occur on Tuesday, May 13.

Last year I was proud to be a part of this event and posted my Limoncello Cheesecake. I had commented that if one little blog could make a difference... We all can make a difference! 148 other bloggers also joined in the event in 2007. We are excited to see who participates in 2008.

This year I am living southern with a Taste of Yellow. How about an Italian fritatta version of a squash casserole?
Sweet Squash Fritatta

4 yellow squash
1 sweet onion
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
6 eggs
6 ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 cup muenster cheese
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan
1 Tbs butter
Salt & Pepper

Thinly slice the yellow squash and onions. Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet or omelet pan. Brown onion and squash lightly. Dot with one tablespoon of butter and lemon juice. Combine eggs, grated cheeses, and crushed crackers. When the butter is bubbly pour in the eggs. Lower the heat and cook until almost set. Place the pan under a broiler and cook the remaining 2-4 minutes until firm.

Now the tricky part... cover the skillet with a plate. Hold your mouth just right and flip the plate and skillet together. The fritatta will fall out easily onto the plate.
Serve warm, with more cheese on top if desired.

Our family has been touched by cancer, as many of you have. This is an event that can make a difference. You still have time to enter your taste of yellow!

LiveSTRONG with a taste of Yellow has been accepted as an official LiveSTRONG Day event.

Y'all LiveStrong!

Sandi

9 comments:

Cape Cod Washashore said...

This looks soooooooo good! Hubby has a yummy recipe for a squash casserole, but we eat it so often (TONS I should say) it gets boring. THIS looks like the next yummy squash treat for us! Thank you for the recipe!

Barbara said...

It looks great Sandi. Thank you again for your support this year of LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow.

Sandi McBride said...

My heart is palpatating...my hands are shakey...flip a skillet? I don't know if I can manage it, I may have to just gobble it straight from the skillet if you won't come flip it for me...I love me some squash and I've never ever thought about squash in a fritata...I make a mean Squash casarole, tho, lol
hugs
Sandi

Sugar Bear said...

What a wonderful event to be a part of and such yummy recipes to boot!
Karla

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Louise~ I could eat squash every day... maybe you need to share your recipe with me!
Barbara~ I am proud to be a part of it!
Sandi~ the flipping of the skillet is the tricky part... and mine is a heavy iron thing!
Karla~ you'll have to check out the roundup for LOTs of recipes.

Jeanne said...

you know I'm not sure what I like best about your blog. The amazing recipes or the breathtaking pictures of the food. Today was no exception. Wow, looks amazing and even when it's not something I would particularly like I'm blown away by your presentation.

Heather said...

Your family will be in my prayers. I'm sorry to hear that yall are dealing with cancer.

Sally said...

Boy! Does that look good!! What a great event and a wonderful entry from you.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Jeanne~ Thanks for the compliment!
Atl Girl~ At this point we are all cancer free... Thank the good lord.
Sally~ It is a great event.

Related Posts with Thumbnails