Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Gingerbread Men

Peabody says she will not be a home wrecker and she prefers to eat molasses cookies. I am partial to Gingerbread Men. I like mine soft on the inside and a little crusty on the outside. Everyone eats gingerbread cookies in a different way; do you bite off the head first, one leg at a time, or by dunking them in a cup of cold milk... What's your preference?
This is an easy recipe for a gingerbread~ use yours to make a ginger family, or squares for building a gingerbread house.
Holiday Gingerbread
1 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup dark karo syrup
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 heaping Tbs cinnamon
1 heaping Tbs ginger
Using very soft butter, combine with sugars until smooth. Add vanilla and beaten egg, stir well. Sift together dry ingredients, and add slowly. Blend until a smooth dough. Cover with plastic and place in the fridge at least an hour (may sit overnight) On a floured surface roll out dough until 1/4 inch thick, cut with cookie cutters. Bake in a pre-heated oven @375 for 10-15 minutes. Cool before decorating with icing and sprinkles.
Many southern gingerbread recipes use shortening instead of butter, but I really like the butter recipe better. It makes me feel less guilty...eating little gingerbread men is bad enough.
Y'all enjoy!


Kristen said...

Oh yay... Thank you for posting this recipe! My son has been begging to make gingerbread cookies, and I've been looking for a recipe without molasses. This looks easy and so good. We'll be making these soon.
Thanks for posting this!!

Sandi said...

Kristen- I hope y'all had fun making your gingerbread family...and eating them too.

Riana said...

Hi Sandi, I love your name :)
Thanks for stopping by my kitchen. I enjoy your blog too. I've just baked gingerbread for gingerbread house I plan to make for the 1st time! Very excited :)
I surely will check here again!

Kristen said...

Sandi -
Do you by any chance remember off the top of your head how many cookies this recipe yields??

LnnLdy said...

Hi I was looking for a gingerbread cookie recipe with no molasses. I didn't have any and my grandson wanted ginerbread cookies! I'm so glad I found this one. I'm not a cookie ctting grandma so I didn't let the dough sit in the fridge at all. I simple began rolling about 2 T of dough into balls and then in sugar and putting them on the cookie sheet. My grandson became my official 'squisher'. We used a glass and flattened them like you do with PB cookies. We baked for only 8 to 10 minutes. They're great! He gave them an A+!
Thanks Sandi, for a great recipe that will now be a favorite!

Kristen Doyle said...

These have been a part of our holidays for the past 4 years. I think of you each time we make the recipe! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Cute Ginger bread men and an abosutely delightful recipe!
☆♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.♪♫•*¨*•♫♪ ░M░E░R░R░Y░ (¯''•.¸*♥♥♥* ¸.•''¯) ░C░H░R░I░S░T░M░A░S░(¯''•.¸ *♥♥♥* ¸.•''¯) ! ♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪☆

Related Posts with Thumbnails